Monday, January 5, 2015

The World I Live In.

I love movies. They are the central driving force in my life. As a viewer, I gain inspiration and insight from great films I watch. As a film major, I am receiving the knowledge and skills to succeed as a documentary filmmaker. I am really only interested in directing documentaries professional, not narrative film. The reason for this was articulated perfectly in a Mark Twain quote that I read several years ago: "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities, truth isn't."



I made two films during my first two years at Lawrence. Freshman year, I co-directed a short documentary about the experiences of three undocumented Latino youth in the Fox Cities that are pursuing higher-education and stable employment. I worked with Kate Siakpere and Nancy Corona on the film, titled "¡Adelante!"


This movie resulted my first television appearance on Green Bay's Fox News channel for my involvement in the Civic Life Project. I instantly became a star.


Last year, I completed "Forgotten History," a longer documentary about the experiences of African American students at Lawrence throughout the school's history. It was screened at Lawrence's first Black Affinity Reunion in September of 2014. Last week, I decided to recut the film to be ten minutes shorter. And I can't decide if it's too late to do so.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I had no idea that you had done so much film work at Lawrence during your first two years here. It's very impressive. I really appreciate the Mark Twain quote- just as you said, I think it perfectly sums up the beauty and fascinating aspect of documentaries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this at that screening, I believe. It's very professionally done, in my opinion, and I admire your passion for the topic. You seem to have a strong hold on what you love and what you'll keep producing and that's inspiring! I'm excited to see your next project.

    ReplyDelete