Monday, February 16, 2015

Ambient Ish:


The absurdism of each sound correlates, in my mind, to the understanding of the way we process information. However, these sounds specifically relate to the way that I imagine Beer the Deer processes information. I came up with the idea for this project while drunkenly staring at him and wondering what he might be thinking.

In creating my soundscape, I wanted to layer sounds to create a gradual building effect. Overall, I wanted to create a sense of calm which slowly descended into greater and greater chaos before everything 'snaps' and returns to the initial calm. I recorded each of these sounds with a Zoom recorder. The items that were recorded include the following: a running car, a passing car, an egg beater, a creaky chair, whistling, yodeling, yelling, clanking pans, and a wooden box snapping.

I feel that these ideas can be illuminated clearly by McLuhan's John Cage quote, "Everything we do is music."

1 comment:

  1. I loved listening to this while staring into the eyes of the deer. I could definitely think of this weird series of noises as what goes on in the deer's head. Perhaps the loud, chaotic part is how he feels when everyone around him is drunk. Poor Beer.

    ReplyDelete